Pages

Friday, October 26, 2007

A Hectic Week

This week has been the worst week so far this term (or maybe all the years I have been at MIT) in terms of sleep. To start off, I didn't get much sleep on Sunday night(~3 hours) because I needed to build the model for my 4.111 project because the review is the next day. Monday night was spent doing French as well as 1.035 lab report. Tuesday - 1.035 pset and study break (more about it below). Wednesday 1.010 pset. Finally it's Thursday when I theoretically should be making up for these lost sleep (I did take a nap though). I have been trying to sleep for the past three hours. For some reason, every time I try to sleep, I can't. Maybe my sleep schedule has been changed again :-( ...

Of course lack of sleep was not all that happened this past week. On Monday after coming back from studio, Yalu and I decided to go biking. Along the way we stopped by the bike shop because she wanted to buy a lock. It was definitely bigger than the one which Lucy had. We also looked at the lights and the bells, which weren't as cheap as we thought it was( but it was definitely cheaper than £8 though!). Then we bike down main street to Charles River. It was definitely a really nice weather to go biking, if not a little too dark to see in the end...

Tuesday night was the pancake study break. The event was at 10PM but we began setting at 9PM. It was very empty and quite. Around 10, or maybe a few minutes earlier, a bunch of people just showed up. It was very crowded in the country kitchen, quite unlike the smores study break we had last semester. There was people everywhere trying to get the pancakes, which were pretty good. A bunch were crowed around the cooking area so it was quite difficult to get around to the other side.
Approximately 11 (or maybe after that), everything died down again. This definitely was our longest study break ever.

Wednesday night was the last night of the PE classes and people were testing for their belts. In the beginning I had also wanted to test for mine. However, as it turns out, you also have to pay $20 in order to be tested/get your belts. Since I hadn't gone to the past three classes, I didn't know that and of course didn't bring any money with me. I did stay however to watch them testing for the yellow belts(the higher level ones come later but I needed to go do my pset so I didn't stay). It was pretty interesting to watch. A person would shout out the steps/moves which they have to do. The test definitely has more things in it than I thought it would have (I thought it just has the chunji(?) which is a set of 16 moves). They had kicks, punches, sparring routines. In the end, every single people who tested get to break a piece of wood :-) I saw a few minutes of the next group to be tested, from their forms and postures, it's noticeable that they had more experience than the previous group.

1 comment:

Lucy said...

Sounds like a bad week. You should get more sleep, yeah. We're switching back to non-day light savings time on Saturday so we get an extra hour of sleep, yay!

Hm.. we didn't have any belt tests after my tae kwon do class...