Pages

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Pau

I am going to run through the different things which has happened since I arrived in Pau (if they are interesting).

Day 0 (Friday):
My supervisor and his wife came to pick me up at the airport and dropped me off at the place where I was to stay (the landlords were pretty nice. they have two adopted children from Haiti). I am currently living in the main house because the room where I am going to stay in is being painted right now. There's also another girl from Austria who's living in the house and 4 other girls living in the rooms adjacent to the house. Afterwards, they showed Rachel and me around the city. We showed up at the the hostel where Rachel was staying just when she got there. I had thought that she had arrived the day before, but it turned out there was some sort of misunderstanding.
For some reason, I had thought of this place as very rural but it wasn't. There were a lot of shops here. The roads are very winding. There's also a pretty good bus system (they are on time insofar as I know).
This weekend was also the weekend of the Grand Prix (car racing). Because of this, parts of the city were closed off (near the parks). We also found out that the entrance fee was free the next day if we come at a certain time (will talk more about this later).
Later that evening after we came back, we (Rachel and me) had dinner with the family I was staying with. It took a long time (and started around 8:30), but it was pretty good. We had several courses and between each course was more talking. After the first course, they went to finish making the second course (which was an omelet filled with stuff).

3 comments:

Lucy said...

Cool. Sounds like you have very nice hosts. Hope Rachel will find a place soon too. You can tell me all about your work when I see you in Amsterdam. Not sure if anyone else reading your blog will be interested in geotech stuff. I'm trying to finish this geotech project right now. Who knew it would be such hard work just to design a wall...

yalu said...

aww this family sounds so nice! I bet you guys all speak french?

Unknown said...

it's good that you are staying with a host family, so you can practice your french. Lucy and I spoke English all the time when we were in Germany.