Pages

Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Weekend

This past Friday and Saturday seem to be bad luck for me. On Fridays, the Barn usually held events for grad students include $1 beer (not that I was interested in that). Some of the people in the MEng for Structures were going to meet up there and get to know one another. I showed up around 5:30 (it started at 4:30) but I wasn't able to get in because the place was filled to capacity and all the doors were locked. Not only that, it was raining quite hard. Not wanting to wait who knows how long in the rain, I decided to go back home.

On Saturday, the weather had forecast rain all day. But it turned out to be pretty nice in the morning. In the afternoon, when I finally got ready to go outside to walk around and explore, it looks like it was going to rain, and pretty heavily too. I decided to go anyway. This time I decided to go on the other side of the river from where we were living. It was a lot more isolated, a little more like the Ithaca I imagined: lots of tress and not much houses. At one point, I passed by a place where people were swimming. This time I think I could figure out how they got there. I went a little further before I turned back around. Half way home, there was lightning followed very shortly by a thunderclap. Rain didn't wait too long to follow and began pouring. When I got back, I was really wet even though I had brought my umbrella with me. As it turned out one of my roommates was also caught in the rain.

That evening I had dinner with two of my roommates who were both Iranian. It was nice getting to know them. I was a little bit intimidated by one of them before, but I think it was because I didn't really get to talk to her and she seems to be really busy.

Today, the three of us went shopping to get ourselves a microwave. We didn't manage to get one, but we did end up with a lot of other stuff that we had to take a taxi back.

No comments: