Pages

Friday, September 11, 2009

Classes

Classes has been in session for about two weeks and work is now starting to pile up. In addition, there's a career fair next week but I haven't had the time to update it before then.

To those who are curious, the classes which I have decided to take this semester are:

Concrete Structures - This class is a LOT of work. There's a project due every week (it's pretty much like 1.036). The professor tries to make the class interesting. In the beginning he'd use candy to relate to properties of concrete and steel. He'd also make nerdy jokes in class and make fun of people too. There's also a lab portion to the class. Last week we built a small wall which we demolished this week using air pressure.


Finite Element Method - I have absolutely no idea what is going on in the class right now. In class the prof is mostly proving equations. I believe that it is prob relevant later on, but I don't know what it's for right now.

Structural Mechanics - This one is also a lot of work, but it's more understandable what is going on.

Solid Mechanics - Very similar class to 1.050. But this time around, it is a lot less confusing on what is going on. The prof for this class likes to get comments from his students at the end of the class which he tries to incorporate next time. It was weird the first couple of days, but it's a pretty good idea.

Finite Element Practicum - This class teaches you how to use a finite element software.

Besides taking classes, there's a project which everyone in the program has to work on. We haven't gotten any details on it yet though.

2 comments:

Lucy said...

I like your Currently Reading list. lol. Your classes sound interesting. No structural analysis class? Are you going to take some sort of analysis thing next semester? I think we have to submit a plan for the entire year by the first day of school. Not that it's final but still. What finite element software are you using? I used a geo one at work this summer. Well, used as in did the first three tutorials. So confusing...

Will said...

This sounds like so much work. Get old soon so you can have weekends off ^_^. Hope you're enjoying it though.