I guess it's been a while since I updated. I'll try to break down some of the stuff which happened.
Career Fair - The career fair for engineering was this past Wednesday. I wasn't able to update my resume until the day before and the day of the event itself. That day I went to the office earlier so I would be able to focus on updating it and to do some research on the companies itself before going. I wasn't able to do much of the research but I was able to update my resume. I went after my first class which is usually my lunch time. Before I left, I had talked to several of the people who had gone earlier in the day. I was told that it wasn't spectacular and that most of them weren't accepting resumes. When I finally went, I didn't stay very long because 1) it wasn't very big and 2) I feel like I could make better progress online. One thing about the career fair was that it was limited to just the Cornell community and it was kept that way. When we went in, we had to swipe our IDs, which in turn prints out our name tag.
Salsa - About two weeks ago, I was looking through the events calendar for Cornell and came upon a class teaching salsa, bacchetta, etc. I decided to sign up and go. There was also office hours that evening so I ended up at the dance lesson about half way into it (not that it mattered and I wasn't the last one there either). The class was very much geared towards the beginners. There was also an unbalance of leaders so I decided that I would lead instead because I already knew what was going on. I haven't been back since that day, not because it's easy, but because of ballroom.
Ballroom - Also about two weeks ago was the audition for the ballroom team. I ended up miscalculating and ended there late, missing pretty much the whole standard/smooth section. I think the people in charge of the audition was at a loss as to what to do with me since I am in gold and they usually get beginners. At the end, I was too a little confused.
A few days later, I got an email saying that I was on the team. I also got an email from the guy who would be my partner for the comps. Actually, right now he is still dancing with his current partner. The reason that we partnered up was because she was leaving next semester and he could still dance gold. Right now, we have met up twice to practice and figuring out an routine for the different dances.
Bowling - Yesterday, the cee grad students association hosted a bowling event for the grad students. Because it was at least half an hour walk to the bowling place (located at a gym in north campus), I took a bus there which was the first bus which came. It went through some back route which was very rural like. The point of this was that I saw 3 deer. When I got there, the two friends I was going to bowl with hadn't shown up yet so I join another group of students. They were also in MEng structures. I ended up not finishing the game because I had to leave for dance practice which was next door.
One thing I will definitely have to get used to is the presence of beer at these grad events. All throughout MIT, you are not supposed to serve alcohol at school sponsored events, but now it's always there. (There was an happy hour event another week which also served beer).
I don't mean to end this on a sad note, but I do miss Boston. Not really the city itself, but all the friends that I made and solidified these past four years. I've made a few friends here, but it's just not the same...
2 comments:
Miss you too! haha, you were prob referring to someone else... Anyway, I think I'm going to try to take social dance as a PE class. I'll see if they have room.
Yeah, there's always beer at our grad events too. There was even wine at this speed friending event. I usually just go for soda and water. I had like half a cup of beer at the "grad night out" but it wasn't very good since it was cheap stuff.
Man, I miss Boston too! I know what you mean, I am always going to Boston to visit friends and then when I go, there are still all these friends I didn't manage to see (a never-ending list). Plus, our boyfriends are in Boston ;-)
At least you are keeping busy! Seems like you are doing a lot of activities too, so hopefully you won't miss Boston too much.
Post a Comment