Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Busy Week

So much has happened this past week.

Monday- Applied and set up an interview on the same day

Tuesday - A while back, I signed up for "Future Day for Students" which is part of the American Public Works Association (APWA) exposition. The program included speakers in the morning, exploring the exhibit floor (it's set up like the tech fair in the spring, but has stuff like garbage trucks, snow plowers, drainage systems, etc. instead of software; there was also a robotic garbage can which stores candy under its cover), and finally a tour of Deer Island. Deer Island is host to a waste water treatment plant which was constructed as part of the plan to clean up Boston Harbor.



One interesting fact is that about 20% of the energy used by the plant is renewable. They come from solar power, wind power and methane (which resulted from wastewater treatment).

Wednesday - Yoga on the Esplanade. After finding out that the city sponsors yoga classes every Wednesday until sometime in September or October, Theresa and I went to one last week. We couldn't have chosen a better day to go. There was just enough cloud cover that the sun weren't bothering us, the temperature was good, and there was a nice breeze.

Thursday - In the morning I went to the interview which I had set up on Monday. Around 4pm, I received a phone call telling me that I got a job offer. It was very unexpected for two reasons: 1. I didn't think that I was going to get the job and 2. I was told during the interview to expect to hear back at the end of next week.
Later in the evening, I went with Theresa for a belly dancing session at the Hatch Shell. It was the last one of the season. Like the yoga, it was very enjoyable.

Friday - Volunteered at the Greater Boston Food Bank and accepted the job offer.

Saturday - Volunteered at the West End Children's Festival. The organizations who came had many samples (mostly food) and activities for children. Of note, Zipcar allowed people to draw on a car, there was a cotton candy booth and snow cone booth. Best of all, it's all free! I came with BSCES where most of the volunteers came from Northeastern. There was one from Tufts and a few others who's currently working. We had several ideas for activities. The most popular include learning how bridges work(the kids get to "build" the bridges) and balloons (it was supposed to be building balloon towers, but the kids ended up just asking for animals instead).

1 comment:

yalu said...

Seems like a good week for you!