Pages

Saturday, July 19, 2008

A little misunderstanding

Sometime last week I had a medical exam here at TOTAL so that I am able to go into the labs. Afterwards, we sat down as he explained to me what is what (as it is all in French) and said that I was in good health. Later he gave me another sheet of paper. Later when I asked him what a particular word meant on the paper (which means that it's the first time that the person has a medical exam at that place), he also explained to me the purpose of the exam: to have a record of what my health was like before entering the labs. During this whole time, he was explaining, he said something that sounds like con-sair. When I didn't understand, he said that it's a type of illness to which I responded OK. But perhaps it bugs him that I still don't understand what he was talking about for he keeps emphasizing it, saying that it's the same word as in English. Finally he brough out his book and showed the word to me. It was cancer. I don't think he appreciated it though when I said "OHH CANCER"...

4 comments:

Lucy said...

haha! funny. you're going to barcelona this weekend? cool. have fun. watch for pickpockets!

yalu said...

That sort of happened to me...I think I told you about how I was getting train tickets in French, and then she asked me if I wanted to "annuler" my old one, and I totally did not understand b/c I've never heard "annuler" spoken. So then she said "cancel" in a weird way. I think they don't do this "can" part very well, because the British say "caan" and we say it with a nasal sound, so then they say "caan" and add some hard to hear ending "soul" and I'm just like huh? I went "Oh, CAN--oui oui, je sais," haha.

Unknown said...

lol!! XD

X said...

Lucy: Yalu told me that you have no idea what I was doing and I also wasn't really updating, so I put up the list :-) I need ideas for that three day weekend in Aug...

Yalu: Yep, you told me about at one point. Maybe in the train sometime? Don't remember.