Pages

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

3 cities in a day (part 2)

Brugge was a very beautiful city. We didn't realize it before we left Brussels. One of the reasons we went there was because it was one of the major cities in Belgium. As I find out later, it's pretty high on Lonely Planet's list of places to go.
So I didn't take very many pictures, don't remember why though.

This is what most of the buildings look like:

Two churches:
For part of the time we spent in Brugge, we tried to looked for the place which gave out free beer (which turns out is only if we pay for the admission to the museum). Before finding it, we came upon a swan family. As I was trying to take a picture with them, I got bitten by the large white one. I guess it thought that I might do something to its babies?
Next to it apparently is the starting point for all the horse carriage rides through town. Every few minutes we'd see one passing by.
And a fountain next to the stop:
All the roads in Brugge is made of cobblestones, which were not walking after the rain in flip -flops. Added to that, we had to rush back to the train station because we did not know when was the next train(if any) that goes to Lille. Unfortunately, we missed a turn on our way back and ended up being further from the station than we wanted to be. When we asked, someone told us that it was 10 minutes ago, to which we started running. We arrived at a bus station, but we did not see the trains so we asked someone. It turned out that they were Spanish and doesn't speak a word of French or English, just our luck. Fortunately, I managed to catch a word or two which got us in the direction we wanted to get to. Once we could see it, we had to cross the street, where the cars just keep coming non-stop. By the time we got inside the station, we had perhaps a minute or two left to find the track and get on the train itself. Luckily, the train left a few minutes later than it was schedule or else we might not have made it...

By the time we got to Lille, the weather was very nice to which Yalu pointed out that the ticket envelope for Thalys (the train we took to Brussels) implied something to the effect that the weather is always bad in Begium (which is true for all the times that we have spent/passed through there...)

Lille is very lively due to the number of students there. However, when we went, there weren't as many since they are on vacation. The first stop we made was to the supermarket to get water(which we had ran out) and food for dinner (because it's cheaper and we don't have as much time). After we followed the walking tour of the city from Yalu's book.

Don't remember what this is but it looks impressive...

Place de Charles de Gaulle

I believe this is the Museum of Fine Arts

Fountain in front of the museum
By the time we were done with Lille, we were very tired. I don't know about Yalu, but I slept most of the way back to Paris.

3 comments:

yalu said...

Yeah I wasn't that tired...you took a night train and was napping at every opportunity ;-)

Man that was an intense weekend.

Will said...

Wow, I can comment with my gmail identity! hi! Is Brugge the same place as in the movie, "In Bruges?"

Unknown said...

the fountain looks cool