Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Graduation

The school-wide graduation was spread out over two days (and nice days too, although a bit on the hot side).  The first day included speeches from the president of Cornell, the senior class president, alumni chairs, and the commencement speaker, Nancy Pelosi.   The second was the actual graduation.  Those graduates wishing to participate in this event would gather in one of the quads around Cornell and stand with those in the same school and program (by type of robe and colors).  The college of veterinary medicine can also be identified by their props, i.e. gloves for milking cows.
As for the ceremony, the dean would go up to the podium and ask that the students stand up before pronouncing them graduated.  Once everyone has graduated, then it was time for the departmental ceremony where we actually receive our diplomas! By the time we got to the venue, got our food, and sat down, it was already time for the ceremony to begin.  Like the previous one, this was also very short.  About the time my family and I were ready to head back to my apt, Y called to let me know that she and her parents arrived.  I showed them and my mom around (my sis and bro were getting ready to head back to Boston).  Because the campus was so big and the short amount of time I was there, I was not able to show them the whole place as well as answer their questions about Cornell. 
My mom and I left for Boston the next morning.  It was a 12-13 hour ordeal, mostly because we stopped in NYC for a while.  I had planned on taking my mom to see some sights in the city.  But because I had more stuff than I expected (I had already a suitcase home with my sis and bro), I was not able to do that. To pass the time, I was able to watch two movies on my laptop.

No comments: